Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unexpected kitchen gift!

On Thu 10 Jul 2008 10:40:50p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 05:27:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > fired up random neurons and synapses to
> opine:
>
>>On Wed 09 Jul 2008 10:24:53p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

>>> OB: Made a batch of apple fritters for the first time this past week.
>>> Note to self: fritters are nasty. Do not make again. Ever.

>>Good grief! What did you do to them? Fritters are usually delicious.
>>How were they nasty?

> They were a complete grease-a-rama. My mother made these things when I
> was a kid and I don't recall them being, essentially, pureed apple
> grease blobs. Tasteless, greasy and nasty. I made them from a Food
> Network recipe, as I don't have my mother's recipe.
>
> The recipe I followed:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Apple Fritters
>
> desserts
>
> 1 tablespoon butter
> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
> juice of one lemon
> 1/4 cup water
> 2 cups chopped apples
> splash apple brandy
> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
> 2 eggs, separated
> 2/3 cup milk
> 1 tablespoon melted butter
> 1 cup sifted flour
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 tablespoon sugar
> drizzle cane syrup
> confectioners' sugar
>
> Preheat a deep fryer.
>
> In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar and cook for
> 30 seconds to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon juice, water, apples,
> brandy and cinnamon. Cook the apples for about 3 to 5 minutes or until
> the apples start to wilt. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
> In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, melted butter and cooled
> apple mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture.
> Blend until the batter is incorporated. Cover the batter, place in the
> refrigerator and let rest for 2 to 4 hours.
>
> In a standing mixer or with a whisk, beat egg whites until stiff.
> Remove the batter from the refrigerator and blend until smooth. Fold
> in the beaten egg white. Using a large spoon, drop the batter into the
> hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from
> the oil and drain on paper-lined plate.
>
> To serve, Mound the warm fritters on a platter and drizzle with cane
> syrup. Garnish the fritters with powdered sugar.
>
> Contributor: Food Network
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.83 **
>
> If anyone has a decent recipe for apple fritters that actually *taste
> good* please lemmeno.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> --

Two comments, Terry. I would probably not pre-cook the apples, or at least
barely cook them at all. Second, the greasiness was probably caused by oil
that was not hot enough. That's typical of almost any deep-fried food.
Low temp = greasiness.

I'll have to look for the fritter recipe I have used in the past.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 07(VII)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)