Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gloria P Gloria P is offline

Default Good news/bad news

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Gloria P > wrote:
>
>> Good news: It's raining here for the first time in weeks and the
>> garden really needs it even though we water 3x a week.
>>
>> Bad news: The rain has turned to hail, starting pea-sized and now
>> almost dime-sized, and it will rip the garden to shreds.
>>
>> I'd like to give Mother Nature a swift kick in the a$$.
>>
>> gloria p

> Cover the apricot tree!!!!

They are ~15 feet tall (Yeah, we should have pruned more.)
Luckily the hail didn't really do much damage to anything.
Some years it shreds every leaf on every tree and bush.

One of the trees split nearly in half right down to the ground
this winter during a snow/ice storm, but what remains is so heavy
with fruit that we've had to prop up the branches. They aren't
ripening or softening much even though they are starting to color.
I'm surprised because it has been HOT here.

I can wait. Once they ripen I'll have my work cut out for me
for a few days although I'm sure the birds, squirrels, and neighbors
will be glad to help.

Got any interesting additions to apricot jam? I may add some ginger to
a batch but we like it so well, the majority will be plain.