Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Tumeric vs. Turmeric

On Jun 30, 6:34�pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> �Tracy > wrote:
> > ChattyCathy wrote:

> > > CUEmin.

> > That's how I say it too - CUEmin, Qmin, Kyoo min.....

> > When I hear someone say kuh min..it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
> > It just doesn't sound right. I can deal with koo min though.

> > I also say erbs as opposed to "H"erbs. The H is silent. �Again, just my
> > way, not necessarily the only way.

> > Tracy

> Do you say iss-tory? �How about the author of Moby Dick? �Erman Melville?
> There's some law about why erbs is correct but I can't remember what it
> is or what court it was adjudicated in.

Pronunciation is abjudicated in the court of common usage... in the US
most folks say "erb", the UK "herb" is used almost exclusively.

herbs
[ERB, Brit. HERB]
The fragrant leaves of any of various annual or perennial plants that
grow in temperate zones and do not have woody stems. Herbs can be
purchased in dried or fresh forms. Some, like CHIVES, are also sold
frozen. Some of the more commonly available fresh herbs are BASIL, BAY
LEAF , CHERVIL, CORIANDER, MARJORAM, MINT, OREGANO, PARSLEY ,
ROSEMARY, SAGE, SAVORY, TARRAGON and THYME. They can be found at
various times of year, depending on the herb. Choose herbs that have a
clean, fresh fragrance and a bright color without any sign of wilting
or browning. They can be stored in the refrigerator, wrapped in a
barely damp paper towel and sealed airtight in a plastic bag for up to
5 days. For storage up to 10 days (depending on the herb), place the
bouquet of herbs, stem end down, in a tall glass and fill with cold
water until the ends are covered by 1 inch. Cover the top of the
bouquet with a plastic bag, securing it to the glass with a rubber
band. Alternatively, the herb bouquet may be placed in a screw-top jar
in the same manner and sealed tightly. Either way, the water should be
changed every 2 days. Just before using, wash the herbs and blot dry
with a paper towel. Dried herbs are available year-round in metal or
cardboard boxes, bottles, cellophane packages and unglazed ceramic
pots. They have a stronger, more concentrated flavor than fresh herbs,
but quickly lose their pungency. Crushed or ground herbs become
lackluster more quickly than whole herbs. The more airtight the
storage container, the longer the herbs will last. Transfer those in
cardboard, tin, unglazed ceramic or cellophane to small glass bottles
or jars with screw-top lids. Each time you use the herb, make sure the
lid is tightly resealed. Store dried herbs in a cool, dark place for a
maximum of 6 months. After 3 months, it is best to refrigerate them.
Herbs are used to flavor all manner of food and drink. Most should be
used judiciously because many of them can be quite pungent.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.