Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default My Limoncello

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > James Silverton wrote:

> >> You might have mentioned, for those of us with no experience, that
> >> Everclear 151 was grain alcohol. On the face of it, I thought it was a
> >> detergent :-)

> > Also note that Everclear varies in strength depending
> > on where it's sold. The good stuff is 190 proof, but
> > 151 is what's sold in California.

> I was told that 190 proof alcohol if consumed in that form will burn
> (damage) the mucus membrane ergo the 151 proof limitation.
>
> I can not seem to verify this information.

It really doesn't matter. 190 proof is undrinkable. So is 151. Both
are meant for mixed drinks. 100 is pretty hard to take. It isn't till
it gets down to 80 to 90 that you can sip it. Even then, a small sip
gets diluted by your saliva to make it tolerable.

This recipe dilutes it down with water.

Your advice is good, though. Don't drink this stuff (190 or 151)
straight.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA