Posted to rec.food.cooking
Monsignor Tartarus Sanctus Monsignor Tartarus Sanctus is offline

Default My Limoncello

On Jun 24, 7:28 am, Tracy > wrote:
> Ten days ago I peeled (zest only!) 12 lemons. I combined the peel with a
> litre of 151 Everclear.
>
> Last night I boiled one and a half litres of water with 5 cups of sugar
> and added it to the strained everclear. (Actually, I strained out the
> peels and set them aside and poured the Everclear into the sugar syrup.
> Then I poured the mixture over the peels and let it sit for 15 minutes -
> cuz that is what my friend told me to do!) Then I strained it again into
> my big jar.
>
> This is what I got:
>
> http://i31.tinypic.com/1z38kfn.jpg
>
> My kitchen smelled sooo good.
>
> My directions call for filtering it through cheesecloth every 15 days
> for 3 months! I don't think I can wait that long.
>
> I got the recipe from friends who made Limoncello as wedding favors.

I make it all the time, and your proportions are very close to mine.
Sounds really good. I have never found that straining was necessary,
although I do filter the infused alcohol through a coffee filter
before I mix in the syrup. You can drink it right away.

Tartarus