Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When is a patty melt not a patty melt?

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

> Where substantially all of any carbohydrates in the
> onion (or added to the onion, such as by using juice or cider)
> have been caramelized. Not just bits and pieces around the edge.
> It takes 20 or 30 minutes to do this, so far as I know.
> It is out of scope for a short-order cook.
>
> Steve

When I lived in Philly, many of the places that make cheesesteaks would
grill a pile of onions and keep them hot on the griddle. They could easily
sit there slowly cooking for a half hour. When you move a lot of onions
during the day, you can devote the space to it. If you have only one item
on the menu that uses grilled onions and you only sell one or two a day, I'd
agree.