Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When is a patty melt not a patty melt?

On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:58:50p, Kajikit told us...

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:35:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:19:50p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...
>>
>>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:46:04 -0700, "The Ranger"

elsewhere.

>>> Actually, Kraft makes two types of American cheese. One is "cheese
>>> food" (whateverinhell that is) and the other says "processed American
>>> cheese." One is a chemistry experiment, the other is not, AFAICS.
>>>
>>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>>The Kraft American Cheese that is in *not* individually wrapped slices,
>>but is packaged in somewhat thicker slices is usually the "processed
>>American cheese". Nice cheese for what it is. Still not acceptable to

me
>>in a patty melt. That *requires* Swiss cheese.

> DH thinks a patty melt should be made with the processed cheese slices
> you get from the deli... and lots of onion of course. I usually used
> to use sourdough bread because we don't buy rye. They were yummy, but
> I haven't made them in a long time.

Not to say that it may not be tasty, but a patty melt in name only,
definitely not a classic. :-)

Having said that, you didn't specify exactly what kind of processed cheese
slices. They do make a swiss flavored version, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)