Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger[_6_] The Ranger[_6_] is offline

Default When is a patty melt not a patty melt?

Steve Pope > wrote in message
> The Ranger > wrote:
>>Steve Pope > wrote in message

>>> Where substantially all of any carbohydrates in the
>>> onion (or added to the onion, such as by using juice
>>> or cider) have been caramelized. Not just bits and
>>> pieces around the edge. It takes 20 or 30 minutes
>>> to do this, so far as I know. It is out of scope for a
>>> short-order cook.

>> I know this is a quaint idea to you but short-order
>> cooks prep an amazing amount of food to assist
>> with getting through a rush, and caramelized onions
>> would be such an item. Given the sales two restaurants
>> I worked in a life-time ago of patty melts, few,
>> if any, people were be able to tell that those onions
>> had been prepped prior. The one time we saw returns
>> was the day a cook tried to skip some prep and he
>> made them to order. No one wanted sautéed onions
>> in their patty melt; they wanted caramelized.

> Cool. That does sound really good. I retract my last
> sentence above, which I obviously made in ignorance.

If you've never worked in the industry, you'd be amazed at the
amount of prep done every day. Cooking a rush is just too
stressful and you don't have the luxury of extra time. The more
"fast food" a place is considered, the more prep is done. Patty
melts are quick-and-easy comfort food.

> I'm used to getting caramelized onions at Arabic restaurants
> in the Northeast U.S., and those places are often
> short-order kitchens .... but it can take awhile for your
> food to show up, so I'm not sure if it's pre-prepped.

The two local to me don't take a lot of time to serve,
normally, but one of them does have a unique priority when it
comes to their clientels' "lunch" schedules.

>> But, like I said prior, I've never had a patty melt that was
>> served like Koko's </sneeringly American cheese slices,
>> indeed!>

> That is just Wrong.

You and I are in agreement it appears. World, as we know it,
ends tomorrow Steve. <EG>

The Ranger