Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default When is a patty melt not a patty melt?

The Ranger > wrote:

>Steve Pope > wrote in message

>> The Ranger > wrote:

>>>What do you consider caramelized onions?

>> Where substantially all of any carbohydrates in the
>> onion (or added to the onion, such as by using juice
>> or cider) have been caramelized. Not just bits and
>> pieces around the edge. It takes 20 or 30 minutes
>> to do this, so far as I know. It is out of scope for a
>> short-order cook.

>I know this is a quaint idea to you but short-order cooks prep
>an amazing amount of food to assist with getting through a
>rush, and caramelized onions would be such an item. Given the
>sales two restaurants I worked in a life-time ago of patty
>melts, few, if any, people were be able to tell that those
>onions had been prepped prior. The one time we saw returns was
>the day a cook tried to skip some prep and he made them to
>order. No one wanted sautéed onions in their patty melt; they
>wanted caramelized.

Cool. That does sound really good. I retract my last
sentence above, which I obviously made in ignorance.

I'm used to getting caramelized onions at Arabic restaurants
in the Northeast U.S., and those places are often
short-order kitchens .... but it can take awhile for your
food to show up, so I'm not sure if it's pre-prepped.

>But, like I said prior, I've never had a patty melt that was
>served like Koko's </sneeringly American cheese slices,
>indeed!>

That is just Wrong.

Steve