Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger[_6_] The Ranger[_6_] is offline

Default When is a patty melt not a patty melt?

Steve Pope > wrote in message
> The Ranger > wrote:
>>Steve Pope > wrote in message

>>> Grilled onions, sure, but I've never seen caramelized
>>> onions on a patty melt.
>>>

>>What do you consider caramelized onions?
>>

> Where substantially all of any carbohydrates in the
> onion (or added to the onion, such as by using juice
> or cider) have been caramelized. Not just bits and
> pieces around the edge. It takes 20 or 30 minutes
> to do this, so far as I know. It is out of scope for a
> short-order cook.

I know this is a quaint idea to you but short-order cooks prep
an amazing amount of food to assist with getting through a
rush, and caramelized onions would be such an item. Given the
sales two restaurants I worked in a life-time ago of patty
melts, few, if any, people were be able to tell that those
onions had been prepped prior. The one time we saw returns was
the day a cook tried to skip some prep and he made them to
order. No one wanted sautéed onions in their patty melt; they
wanted caramelized.

But, like I said prior, I've never had a patty melt that was
served like Koko's </sneeringly American cheese slices,
indeed!>

The Ranger