Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger[_6_] The Ranger[_6_] is offline

Default When is a patty melt not a patty melt?

Michael "Dog3" > wrote in message
. ..
> (Steve Pope)
> : in rec.food.cooking
>> > wrote:

>>>So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?
>>>

>> I probably haven't ordered one in 30 years but at the
>> time I'd expect a hambuger with swiss chees melted
>> on rye. Whether the rye is grilled, or just toasted, I'm
>> not sure -- the whole thing would be greasy enough
>> you couldn't tell.
>>

> Koko poses a good question. I think every time I've
> ordered one it was a ground beef patty, Swiss and
> caramelized/grilled onion on rye bread. I remember
> ordering it once and the server asked me what kind
> of cheese I wanted. I ordered Swiss without thinking.
> I make them at home fairly often. The only variation
> I've ever made was the bread. I was out of rye
> and used sourdough once. It was good but different.

I'll add my "100%" here, too, when ordering a patty melt:
always, _ALWAYS_, has it been a ground beef patty with melted
Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, on grilled/toasted rye. Most
of the time it's also come with fries but there was one place
that only offered potato salad.

If I was asked "What type of cheese would you like on that?"
I'm pretty sure I would've immediately been looking to order
something else. If I'd been _served_ the monstrosity Koko was
(_Kraft AMERICAN_ cheese?), I'd've also sent it back and gone
elsewhere.

There are just some institutions that cannot be messed with!
"Viva Le Patty Melt!"

The Ranger