Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy[_2_] blake murphy[_2_] is offline

Default My Limoncello

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:11:27 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Tracy wrote:
>> Ten days ago I peeled (zest only!) 12 lemons. I combined the peel with a
>> litre of 151 Everclear.
>>
>> Last night I boiled one and a half litres of water with 5 cups of sugar
>> and added it to the strained everclear. (Actually, I strained out the
>> peels and set them aside and poured the Everclear into the sugar syrup.
>> Then I poured the mixture over the peels and let it sit for 15 minutes -
>> cuz that is what my friend told me to do!) Then I strained it again into
>> my big jar.
>>
>> This is what I got:
>>
>> http://i31.tinypic.com/1z38kfn.jpg

>Looks good to me!!
>When I made my two batches (one with Everclear, the other with 100 proof
>Vodka) for some reason the coloring was totally different, but I sure
>can't explain why? They both tasted good but the Everclear batch was
>harsher tasting in the end, so I'm sticking with the 100 proof Vodka
>from now on.
>This is how they looked after I filtered out the zest-
>http://i29.tinypic.com/2vcc9yr.jpg

well, it only makes sense. smirnoff is aimed at high-tone cocktails or
to be drunk neat and everclear for trashcan punch. i doubt everclear
is triple-distilled as smirnoff claims to be.

your pal,
blake