Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Friday Night Fish Dinner

Jill wrote:

>>> Papa John's has a Spinach Alfredo pizza available in some areas that is
>>> to die for; I want to try to re-create it at home but I can never count
>>> on how my own pizza crust will turn out. This is definitely in the
>>> plans.

>> I can always count on my pizza dough, sooo.... how would you make the
>> spinach topping?

> Good question! Wish I had a good answer I'll be wanting some sort of
> nice smooth white cheese (alfredo) sauce as a base and it's not something
> I normally make. I'll be going through some cookbooks, Googling, probably
> asking here. Of course I could always just buy a jar of the stuff on the
> spaghetti sauce aisle Then I figure I'll top it with chopped fresh
> spinach leaves, garlic and mozzarella or a blend of mozz and parmesan. Of
> course the combination of toppings are are endless. Could include sliced
> mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, slices of artichoke hearts or bottoms...

You might consider putting the spinach *under* the sauce, to protect it from
the fierce heat of the oven. Or just make creamed spinach with cheese and
garlic.

When I've made a slightly-embellished spinach-ricotta pizza in the past,
this is what I did (assuming the crust was ready for the toppings):

1. Lightly cook spinach and sliced garlic in olive oil. You just want it to
wilt.

2. Mix together ricotta cheese with chopped sun-dried tomatoes.

3. Drain the spinach mixture well and spread it over the crust (leaving a
decent-sized border).

4. Spread the ricotta mixture over the spinach mixture.

5. Lightly sprinkle with pine nuts and good-quality Parmesan.

6. Bake in a hot oven until the pine nuts are toasted and the crust is
crisp.

Bob