Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Further strange quantities

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > I'd guess the opposite -- that the target is 17.5 oz,
> > and 496 grams is what they calculated from converting
> > to metric.

> I'd guess that a half kilo is more standard than 17.5 ounces around the
> world. But what do I know? People here post recipes that call for 500
> grams. I don't see too many for 17.5 ounces. Just my two cents.

I've got a container of Morton Lite Salt which
is 11 oz (311 g). A can of Swanson Chicken Broth
is 14 oz (396 g). A can of Trader Joe's Whole
Kernel Corn is 8 oz (227 g) drained weight,
15.25 oz (432 g) net weight.

In the U.S., it seems to be standard practice
to specify the product in ounces, and the grams
are just whatever falls out when you do the
conversion.