Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Further strange quantities

James Silverton wrote:
> Sky wrote on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:59:05 -0500:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> There has been mention before of the peculiar quantities in
>>> which things are sold. I came across another one today at
>>> Trader Joes'. Their quite good raspberry preserve (raspberry is the
>>> first ingredient but it does contain corn syrup and
>>> pectin) contains 17.5 oz or 496g. Why they can't supply 500g escapes me!
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> James Silverton
>>> Potomac, Maryland
>>>
>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
>>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

>> I figure it's a way to stretch the bottom line to increase
>> profit margin(s)? Another example of shrinking quantities in larger
>> packaging whilst the MSRP (mfg. suggested retail price)
>> remains the same or in fact increases. IOW, just another way to make
>> a buck! But, that's the name of the game, right?

> It's just not what I associate with TJ's ;-)

Look at commodities, used to buy sugar in five lb bags, now they're four
lbs. Coffee was in 16-ounce bags, now it's 12-ounce. Any number of food
items are in smaller containers but cost more. I guess next they will be
selling rice by the grain and corn by the kernel.