Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default More Funeral Food

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> No, you cannot be divorced if you married in a Catholic church,
> therefore it cannot happen. You can have it annulled. Get out
> the checkbook.

Technically, you could get divorced and it would be legal, but the Catholic
church would not recognize it. You would never be allowed to remarry in the
church (unless you had the first marriage annulled, as well) nor would you
be "allowed" to receive communion. No one could stop you from attending
mass, however, or even going to confession. I have an uncle who was
divorced and who remarried. He goes still goes to mass but never communion.
He never got his first marriage annulled--I think he might have tried but it
was never approved. I don't really remember the story.

> Reminds me of bygamy, how can you be a bygamist if the second
> (or third or whatever) marriage is not legal, it's a law you
> cannot break.
>
> nancy

I don't understand how a couple with children can have their marriage
annulled. Wouldn't that make their children illegitimate (in the eyes of
the church)?

rona