Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.coffee
Flasherly Flasherly is offline

Default European cafes versus American

On Jun 13, 6:58 am, "ss" > wrote:
> "Tony Verhulst" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>
> > don't order coffee in restaurants because I'm pretty much guaranteed to
> > leave it barely touched because I find it unacceptable. YMMV.

> > Tony V.

> I'll never order espresso from a restaurant, but that's because I know how
> it can look inside a restaurant maintained machine, "with their annual
> check-ups".

I tried my first restaurant shot a few weeks ago. Noticing a colored
chalkboard describing variously sweetened concoctions loosely grouped
for espresso, and beneath, the back of what I suspect may have been a
commercial machine, being what actually caught my eye. Enough to have
a closer look, briefly of what I could, around the counter at the
front, when the proprietor approached -- 'Sure,' I said, 'except I'd
like a straight espresso'. She actually apologized, a brief
nondescript mention, before putting in perhaps an Illy POD and
extracting a watery stream of foam. Being with visitor from CA, a
young soldier who had followed me over for the game -- confessing to
me a general like of coffee, presumably I took that to mean brewed,
though he requested the same -- I thought best in turn apologize to
him, that it 'oughn't be in any sense a lasting impression for
espresso.'