ataxia

Default Questions and an appalling, gutless lack of answers

Jonathan Ball > wrote:
> ataxia wrote:

> > It's strange, watching the reactions of people who hear you've started
> > along The Cow-Free Path. Why do people become automatically
> > defensive?

> They aren't defensive. They're ****ed off at the
> unmistakable sneering condescension of the "vegans".

I don't know; when somebody offers me a hamburger at a cookout, and I
have to offer a brief explanation of why I won't be eating one, I'm
not sneering, being condescending, or judgmental...but I still get the
look. When I ask a waiter if there's cheese in the salad dressing,
I'm not telling him he'll burn in hell, I just want to know; so why do
I get the eye-roll?

Apparently we know different people.

> Judgmentalism is part and parcel of "veganism".

I haven't found that to be any more true of veganism than any other
lifestyle, habit, or opinion. Most folks just want to eat.

> > (Man, I'm trying to get through this post without using the word
> > "meme," but it's awfully hard.)

> Try harder. That's pure pop psychobabble.

I wish it weren't so pop, because it's an interesting notion. But I
also like to apply Darwin to corporations red in tooth and claw, so.

-smax