Stephen Gallagher

Default Mayonnaise

(snip)

> > One can be a dual national by birth, but not by
> > acquisition.

That was correct at one tiime, but not anymore. Due to some
previous US Supreme Court cases, and State Department
policy changes, a US citizen can acquire other citizenships
without losing his US citizenship, as long as it is his intention
to keep his US citizenship. The person's intention is what
matters. The State Department has an administrative standard
whereby the presume that a US citizen who acquires another
citizenship, does so with the intent of keeping his US citizenship.

> > In order to acquire citizenship in a foreign country, one
> > must give up American citizenship.

Sometimes the "other" country will require that the person
give up his orignal citizenship, but a US citizen who takes
another citizenship is not required by the US to give up
his US citizenship.

> > Furthermore, if one is an American
> > citizen, one may ONLY enter the U.S. on a U.S. passport.

That is correct. A person who holds US citizenship must
enter the US on his US passport, even if he is also a citizen
of another country and has (or is entitled to hold) the other
country's passport.

> Easy enough to fill out a DS82 and pay the fee, but one also has to
> declare and surrender any other passports when re-entering the US.

No, the US has no such requirement.

A very good website that discusses the US policies on dual
citizenship can be found at: http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
It also contains pointers to various US government websites
which explain the US policies.

Stephen Gallagher

P.S. I am a citizen of three countries, the US(by birth), Canada(by
naturalization),
and the UK(by descent). I have passports from all three countries.
UK.