Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.coffee,alt.food.coffee
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default European cafes versus American

On Jun 6, 9:10*am, Flux > wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm curious to learn what specific things you think European cafes
> that you have been to have done right or wrong, and what
> cafes in the USA you've been to have done right or wrong.
> It occurs to me that the only chance for improvement
> in the USA is for a free exchange of ideas on this matter,
> if American cafe/coffeehouse owners are reading this anyway.
>
> A few ideas:
>
> * It is good to offer a free small biscotto with each coffee
> as you see in European cafes, because it is a "little thing
> that goes a long way".
>
> * It is good to put mirrors on the walls as you see in
> European-style cafes, because it adds more sense
> of space; it also acknowledges the reality that humans
> go to cafes in part for people-watching.
>
> * It is very bad to seriously demand $6 for a not too large
> sandwich, because this activates the miserly instinct of
> customers and creates a hidden conflict between
> consumers and the business. You see this at
> Barnes and Noble's cafe.
>
> Thanks.

A few months ago I went to a coffee 'stand' - one could take their
coffee to the seats with an inside view or go to an outside view of
the harbor. On some specific drinks, they were offering a cookie of
your choice. I asked before hand if there were any cookies that were
not included in this offering. I noticed later looking at the check
that we had both been charged extra for the cookie that we had
discussed as being free. The coffee and view were good, so I wasn't
going to quibble.

I didn't buy the drink because of the offering, but if it were free
that would be a good reason for locals to return. I probably would.

I don't frequent Barnes & Noble's cafe and try not to frequent
Borders' cafes. To me, they are depressing in many ways. But the
main reason is that I've never got a satisfactory coffee at either
one.

The few cafes I've been to in Europe were a delight, but certainly not
perfect. My favorite cafes were in Montreal and Tokyo, but that was
because the coffee was good, not because of the ambience.

Dee Dee