usual suspect

Default Letters to the editor

Zakhar, daft as ever, wrote:

>>Try reading again.
>>
>>5. Our oceans would be fished to extinction. Yes, all the vegetarians I

> know
>>eat fish and seafood.
>>
>>See, the writer is saying that most 'vegetarians' eat fish. This appears

>>me to be true.

> No, you read again with some knowledge.
>
> The writer implied that all vegetarians eat fish.

Bullshit, you ignorant prat. The writer only said the vegetarians of the
writer's acquaintance ate fish -- not ALL.

> Which is beside the point. The point is NO vegetarians eat fish. There are
> people who eat fish that call themselves vegetarian, but these people are
> ill-informed or liars.

They're free to call themselves whatever they want.

> Lesson one: Fish are NOT vegetable.

How long did it take you to comprehend that one, dummy?

>>The oceans are already in serious peril from overfishing. If eveyone

> became
>>'vegetarian' in the sense that the writer means it and we omnivores

> observe
>>it, there is no doubt that the oceans would indeed be fished until there
>>were no stocks left.

> In the sense that meat eaters could eat more fish, call themselves
> vegetarians and empty the oceans, yes.

The oceans won't be emptied by fish-eaters.

> Lesson two:
>
> What is a vegetarian?
> Someone who does not eat meat, poultry, game or *fish* and who also avoids
> slaughterhouse by-products such as gelatine and animal fats.

Some vegetarians will take exception about by-products, which most
people in modern society find almost unavoidable. Those products end up
in cosmetics, shampoo, conditioners, and soap. Animal-derived products
are also used in pharmaceuticals. Is one no longer vegetarian because
that Advil or Tylenol has gelatin around it? Or that capsule is made of
gelatin?

> Most
> vegetarians eat dairy products and free-range eggs, Vegans avoid all animal
> products.
>
> http://www.vegsoc.org/newveg/index.html

Nobody avoids all animal products.