Jonathan Ball

Default Letters to the editor

Rogi Surta wrote:
> Totally wrong my friend. You are sadly misinformed. Cattle are one of the most
> destructive food sources Americans use. The calorie per bushel of grain invested
> to meat is far less efficient than direct human consumption of the same grain.

You are misinformed, you top-posting goofball. The
grain cattle eat is not considered edible by humans.
It is grown AS livestock feed.

Anyway, your sense of "efficiency" is irrelevant and
misguided. The goal in producing food is not to get
the highest caloric value from the smallest possible
resource input, and you're not even proposing that we
do that. You can prove it for yourself by looking at
the resource requirements to grow a bushel of potatoes
versus the requirements to grow a bushel of
raspberries. You aren't proposing that we grow and
consume only the most resource-efficient vegetables, so
the idea that meat be produced and consumed is no
different.

A Mercedes-Benz requires more resources to produce than
a Kia, you dummy, but you're not proposing that people
ONLY should have Kias available for purchase.

> The number of acres of rain forests cleared each year in south america to raise
> the cattle for fast food industries alone (a notoriously empty calorie food
> source) is nothing more than rape of the earth.

Bullshit. You're an ignorant environmental extremist.
You're also full of shit in your claim that the
calories are "empty".

> The areas you refer to that cattle graze on are devastated by the input of
> cattle. Your statement that I seem to be in support of petro chem companies
> indicates you did not read my comments. Grain raised cattle requires MORE petro
> chems. That is a fact. You seem to see what you want just to argue your beliefs
> with no regard for reality!
>
> How do you think a billion south east asians and a billion Chinese survive? Do
> you think they are eating more meat or more grain?

Relative to 10 years ago? They're eating more grain
per capita today than they did 10 years ago, idiot.

> They live with less land and
> less cash and they do it with way less meat.

With way MORE meat than they ate per person 10 years
ago, dummy.

> Why? Because it is the most
> efficient way to live.

Efficiency is not the only consideration.

> Deny this all you want. Fact is that in this country vegetarians (which I AM
> NOT and never have been) live longer

Prove it.

> and cost less tax dollars in medical care.

Prove it.