Posted to rec.food.cooking
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default Shredding Devices?

"Nina" > wrote >>The best bet is a good set of
knives, learn how to use them and keep them
>>sharp. I had one of those cheap Japanese mandolins and it was handy for
>>some things. For Christmas last year my wife bought be a better <?>
>>mandolin. I accepted it graciously, wondering what the heck I needed it
>>for. I tried it a few times. By the time I get it out of the cupboard and
>>assembled I could usually be finished the job with a knife. Then it has
>>to be disassembled, cleaned and put away.

> The only exception for me is really big jobs. For a large volume, a
> mandoline is terrific. I have to say, though, that I cut my finger
> very badly a long time ago with one of these, and so they still
> terrify me.

See, I just don't WANT to prep food for that many people.
If it's too big a job for my knives and cutting board to handle
gracefully, it's too big a job for me to want to do.

I do want a deli-style meat slicer, but that is because I want
uniformly thinly sliced meats for sandwiches, not so much a
volume thing.