Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Shredding Devices?

aem wrote:
> Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
>
> > When my family comes home, I have often thought it would be great to
> > have a nice shredding device to use for making some of those shredded
> > salads that are often served.

> > Usually in the past, I have simply purchased from the deli, the
> > shredded salad containing carrots, jicama, a little pineapple,
> > raisins, etc. �But, I'm getting to the point where I refuse to pay
> > $5.99 a pound for the coveted salad from the deli. �The cost has for
> > deli salads has escallated rapidly recently.

> > My family is large, and when they ALL come home, it takes about 3
> > pounds of the stuff to feed them all!

> > What have you guys found to be the best quick shredding device out
> > there???

> To shred what? �I can shred two heads of romaine lettuce in about ten
> seconds, and a head of cabbage in about twenty, using the chef's knife
> and the big cutting board. �A couple of carrots going through the box
> grater can take almost a minute if I'm being careful with my fingers/
> knuckles. �Jicama I'd probably julienne, so a couple of minutes to do
> enough of it. �More than five minutes to make a big salad? �No, not
> usually.
>
> I know some people love the speed of their food processors, but I'm
> willing to spend the time to get the shapes and sizes I like.
>
> Answering your question, the best quick shredding device? �A sharp
> knife and a little practice. �

Agreed... I often make huge shredded salads with my veggie garden
crops, especially slaws. All I need is my carbon steel chefs knife
and my trusty stainless steel box grater... it's a good idea to
sharpen graters, they're typically stamped steel so there is a burr on
each hole... dress up each hole with a jeweler's file... when
sharpened less pressure is needed so there's less likelihood of
shredding your knuckles. I can shred a head of cabbage faster and
more uniformly with a knife than can any home-style food processor...
by the time you prep a head of cabbage to fit into your processor I'll
have it shredded, and in nice long shreds instead of how the processor
hacks it all up into bits... and then while you're still cleaning up
I'm on to the next project, visiting the Crystal Palace! hehe My box
grater also makes uniform thin slices of carrots, cukes, zukes,
radishes, jicama, any firm veggie... I don't need any stinkin'
mandolin... and for paper thin slices I use my carbon steel bladed
vegetable peeler; I can make nice round slices or long curls... and
once you develop the knack and get into the rhythm it's really fast.