Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chile Fiend Chile Fiend is offline

Default Shredding Devices?

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
6.120:

> On Sun 01 Jun 2008 07:33:05p, Myrl Jeffcoat told us...
>
>> When my family comes home, I have often thought it would be great to
>> have a nice shredding device to use for making some of those shredded
>> salads that are often served.
>>
>> Usually in the past, I have simply purchased from the deli, the
>> shredded salad containing carrots, jicama, a little pineapple,
>> raisins, etc. But, I'm getting to the point where I refuse to pay
>> $5.99 a pound for the coveted salad from the deli. The cost has for
>> deli salads has escallated rapidly recently.
>>
>> My family is large, and when they ALL come home, it takes about 3
>> pounds of the stuff to feed them all!
>>
>> What have you guys found to be the best quick shredding device out
>> there???
>>
>> Myrl Jeffcoat
>>

> I generally use one of the shredding disks for my food processor,
> although a mandolin works well. There's also an attachment available
> for KitchenAid mixers that has various cone shaped shredding and
> grating blades. An investmeent in any one of them would save you from
> the deli. :-)

I have all three of these and use them according to the size or precsion
of the job.

The mandoline gives the most controlled and highest quality cut, but can
be a pain for larger jobs since you need to stop and scoop up what you're
shreding. The mandoline excels though when appearance is crucial like
when shredding/slicing for a garnish.

The food processor is nice for medium jobs and is really quick. I also
default to the food processor on jobs where I'll need it for some other
function. I figure if I'm going to clean I might as well make full use
of it. Only issue is capacity isn't always enough on large dishes.

Finally in large batches nothing beats the Kitchen Aid mixer attachments.
While not as sharp as the mandoline they do a decent job and I could use
a 5 gallon bucket underneath to catch the product if I need to. I use
this when making large batches of cole slaw and such.