Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Shredding Devices?

On Jun 1, 7:33*pm, Myrl Jeffcoat > wrote:
> When my family comes home, I have often thought it would be great to
> have a nice shredding device to use for making some of those shredded
> salads that are often served.
>
> Usually in the past, I have simply purchased from the deli, the
> shredded salad containing carrots, jicama, a little pineapple,
> raisins, etc. *But, I'm getting to the point where I refuse to pay
> $5.99 a pound for the coveted salad from the deli. *The cost has for
> deli salads has escallated rapidly recently.
>
> My family is large, and when they ALL come home, it takes about 3
> pounds of the stuff to feed them all!
>
> What have you guys found to be the best quick shredding device out
> there???

To shred what? I can shred two heads of romaine lettuce in about ten
seconds, and a head of cabbage in about twenty, using the chef's knife
and the big cutting board. A couple of carrots going through the box
grater can take almost a minute if I'm being careful with my fingers/
knuckles. Jicama I'd probably julienne, so a couple of minutes to do
enough of it. More than five minutes to make a big salad? No, not
usually.

I know some people love the speed of their food processors, but I'm
willing to spend the time to get the shapes and sizes I like.

Answering your question, the best quick shredding device? A sharp
knife and a little practice. -aem