Melba's Jammin'

Default More Funeral Food

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > A long-time neighbor died and his funeral was this morning

> You know what, in my goofing around I foolishly did not express my
> condolences for the loss of your neighbor. I'm sorry.
>
> nancy

Hey, no problem. He was in his late 60s and had a tear in his aorta --
same thing that sunk John Ritter's ship. Major emergency surgery with a
grim prognosis for survival -- surgery was successful but he never came
out of the anesthetic, and after 2-3 weeks removed him from life support
as he had specified in his health care directive. Nice guy with a wry
sense of humor. His kids gave a wonderfully organized speech about him.

I'm thinking that I may leave instructions for someone to prepare this
for my funeral luncheon:

{Mystically Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Kitty Litter Cake

Recipe By: Barb Schaller, from an internet group.
Serving Size: 24
Preparation Time: 3:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 box German Chocolate cake mix (any brand)
1 box White cake mix (any brand)
1 package vanilla sandwich cookies (any brand) (1 lb 4 oz)
1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix (6 oz)
Green food coloring
12 small Tootsie Rolls
1 new kitty litter box
1 new kitty litter box liner
1 new pooper scooper

Prepare cake mixes per package directions. Bake them in any shape pan
you'd like; you'll be breaking them up later on, so it doesn't matter
what they look like.

Prepare pudding mix per package directions. Refrigerate until well
chilled. You may or may not need the entire package--save the leftovers
to eat later on.

Put the cookies into your food processor (with the filling). Pulse until
the cookies are crushed. Don't over-do it, this is supposed to look like
kitty litter. Scrape the sides of the processor bowl often, the crumbs
tend to stick. You'll need to do this in small batches.

To 1 cup of the cookie crumbs, add a few drops of green food coloring.
This is the chlorophyll in the kitty litter. I put the crumbs into a jar
and add the food coloring and shake until it's fairly well mixed.

When the cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble them into a large
bowl. Toss with half of the remaining (uncolored) cookie crumbs and
enough of the pudding to make the mixture moist, but not soggy.

Line the kitty litter box with the new liner; add the cake/pudding
mixture and spread it out.

Unwrap 3 of the Tootsie Rolls and heat in the microwave until soft and
pliable--don't melt them. Shape blunt ends into slightly curved points
(use your imagination). Repeat with 3 more Tootsie Rolls. Bury the
shaped Tootsie Rolls in the cake mixture, allowing some of them to stick
out of the top at random intervals. Again, use your imagination.

Sprinkle the remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then
scatter the green crumbs lightly over the top.

Heat the remaining 6 Tootsie Rolls (see NOTE below), three at a time in
the microwave until ALMOST melted. Scrape them over the top of the cake
and sprinkle with crumbs from the box.

NOTE: Save one of the Tootsie Rolls, heat it up like you did for the
shaped ones. Roll it in a mixture of the green and white cookie crumbs.
Hang it over the side of the pan.

Place kitty litter box on two sheets of newspaper. Serve with the pooper
scooper.
--
-Barb (
www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)