Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Now for the Reverse Side of the Coin

On Sat, 31 May 2008 16:50:25 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>
>> Our Scoundrel Buddy, Dimitri, got us all thinking about our proudest moment.
>> Here's a flip......what is your most memorable faux pas? It can be what
>> ever you wish, something you did that no one picked up on but you are still
>> embarassed to admit or something that you did that EVERYONE picked up and
>> won't let you live down. Here's mine:

>Some years ago I came across a recipe for butter tarts that looked like it would
>be good. I thought they would be a real treat for my wife because she loves
>butter tarts, and I don't often make tarts because they are too fiddly for me.
>They were delicious and went quickly. I made another batch and gave some to a
>cousin who was visiting..... before I had tasted them. The recipe called for
>the usual butter and eggs along with corn syrup and vinegar. I had forgotten
>to add the corn syrup. It wouldn't have been bad except for the vinegar, which
>really needed the extra sweetness to balance the acid.

Howdy,

Here's one of mine...

About 40 years ago, my dear friend Alan had a property in
central New York state on which he intended to plant 40,000
blue spruce seedlings.

He invited everyone he could entice. Good food, good
friends, some work outside. It would be great fun...

The evening of the first day, Alan asked if I would be
available to cook breakfast for everyone the following
morning.

I was happy to do that, and explained what I would need to
do yeast leavened pancakes for the multitudes. The batter
had to ferment overnight, and we soon had everything mixed,
and ready for the following day.

After a restful night, I got up early, and lit the fire in
the wood burning cookstove. As it heated, other friends
started to drift into the kitchen, and soon we had something
that looked like a scene from "Seven Brides for Seven
Brothers."

Finally, with the cookstove hot enough, I started to crank
out the pancakes, and the hungry crew was happy to have
them.

My friend Alan did his own maple syrup, and together with
strong coffee, it started to flow.

But then, after a few minutes, I began to see that no one in
the group actually ate anything more than a mouthful of the
pancakes.

When I asked about that, someone said simply "Taste them..."

I did, and the golden pancakes were simply terrible, but we
could not identify the reason.

Apologies, and confusion, followed...

Minutes later, I watched as one of my friends poured himself
a large mug of coffee. He reached for the huge sugar jar
that sat on a shelf above the stove, and spooned into the
mug what seemed to be enough sugar to sweeten a swimming
pool.

He stirred it, took a long sip, and gagged...

With a quick taste, we all knew that the jar had somehow
been filled with salt, and I had used cups of it in my
pancake batter.

All these years later I marvel that any of these folks will
eat anything I prepare... but they do.

All the best,
--
Kenneth