Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Now for the Reverse Side of the Coin

Nina wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2008 14:33:23 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dimitri wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> One day many years ago I had decided to spike my pasta sauce with
>>> some red pepper flakes. You know I just wanted to add a little
>>> background zip.
>>>

>> (snip, heheh)
>>> To this day whenever someone asks if I have ever cooked anything that
>>> did not turn out they look at each other and tell the Hot Spaghetti
>>> Story"

>> That's too funny! When I was about 5 years old we lived in NJ; Mom went off
>> to "the city" (that would be NYC, heheh) for a weekend shopping trip,
>> leaving my brothers and me with Dad. He made spaghetti with red sauce. The
>> sauce was good, I'm sure - 1951 Betty Crocker, how can you go wrong? Except
>> he didn't really drain the pasta, just mixed it all together. I definitely
>> remember that on my plate! We teased him for years. Maybe one day your
>> kids will forget... but don't count on it!

> Both of these stories made me remember my worst one... when I was
> about 14 or so, I had to cook for the family for a few months because
> my mother was ill. I made macaroni and cheese (from scratch) a lot,
> but my sisters always complained that it wasn't cheesy enough. Well,
> I knew there was plenty of cheese, so I tried an experiment... using
> food coloring to make it more yellow! And, lo and behold, everyone
> said, wow, this is better, SO much more cheesy! (yes, presentation
> does matter...)
>
> Anyway, this was all fine until the day my hand slipped with the red
> food color, and we had *brilliant* red mac and cheese. And since I'd
> made really a ton of it, we had ruby-red pasta off and on for about a
> week... (Plus, then of course, my food color secret was out, and
> everyone was then on both skeptical and back to complaining.
> Ingrates!)

As most stories begin: Once upon a time my wife asked me to watch the
pots on the stove while she rousted up the kids. Once of the items
cooking was cream of corn. As usual she had left a cabinet door open
above the stove and Lo! there sat a bottle of blue food coloring. The
devil made me put a few drops in the cream of corn.

She and the kids came back into the kitchen and I went back and sat
down. Shortly I heard this screech of horror and was just barely able to
stop her from dumping the cream of corn in the trash. None of us has
ever forgotten it and we still laugh about Mom's "blue corn" at family
gatherings.

All of this talk of food and kids makes me miss my descendants, will
have to get up a trip over to where they all live pretty soon I guess.