Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Now for the Reverse Side of the Coin

I think mine must have been the first time I tried blackened catfish. We
had been back in the US permanently for about two months after five
years living abroad. I had seen a TV show about blackened fish and
wanted to give it a try.

Went to the local supermarket, bought a package of the crust and some
catfish fillets. Came home, carefully coated the fish according to
directions. Got the cast iron skillet almost red hot, tossed in the
fillets. The house immediately filled up with red pepper smoke, very
much akin to tear gas. Ran around opening doors and windows after
turning off the heat and tossing the skillet into the backyard. Was down
on my all fours heaving and gasping for air when the local constable
showed up with a fire truck. He had been driving by and had seen the
smoke, called the fire department, and came to the rescue.

Luckily we moved away shortly after that or I would never have lived it
down. Also have never tried blackened anything since. I make a little
smoke in the kitchen nowadays and my wife immediately starts opening
doors and window and laughing. One day I'm going to hit her with that
skillet.