Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default My rib glaze

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> > Be still my heart! It sounds wonderful. I wonder if I would have left
> > out the ketchup and the pepper jelly, though, and used a couple
> > chipotles in adobo sauce along with the vinegar. I like the idea of
> > the five spice powder.
> >
> > So, how was it?
> >

> Well.. chipotles might have improved it but I was strictly using only
> what I had on hand...obviously making it up as I went, y'know?

Indeed I do know what you mean ‹ mostly, that's how I cook 95% of the
time. I rarely look at a recipe, decide to make it, and then buy
specific ingredients for it. Prolly why I'm a mediocre cooker.

> After I added garlic and onion powder it helped round out the flavor and
> add a more savory element. The five spice powder was.....ok....but it
> all was a tad too sweet? We made the mistake of doing one last basting
> of the sauce right before removing the ribs from the grill, so that last
> addition of sauce didn't have time to burn on a bit as I like it.
> Otherwise it was good enough. I keep wondering if soy sauce or something
> would have toned down all the sweet?

How about more vinegar? Or would that have lent too much of a
sweet-sour taste to it? Just thinking to myself, KWIM?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com