Dave Smith

Default More Funeral Food

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> A long-time neighbor died and his funeral was this morning at the church
> I got kicked out of 12-13 years ago. I haven't been back since. The
> food was pretty boring. Ham sandwiches, pickles, potato chips (no
> serving tongs--just dig in), some weird vegetable salad with canned
> veggies and not much flavor, a couple three potato salads, a coupla
> pasta salads, brownies, bars, cookies. Man, before I croak, I gotta
> make sure that somebody makes a better plan than that for my funeral
> party.

It was probably done by the church's women's auxiliary group. The church women do
all the work and the church gets a small fee based on the number of people. My
wife and I organized a post interrment service reception at her church for a friend
who had moved away years ago and the family wanted his ashes interred back here. We
had a local butcher/deli make up a meat platter, cheese platter, salad, pasta
salads and relish tray, got some fresh rolls from the local bakery and had an
assortment of cakes and cookies done by a local caterer. The church ladies did the
tea and coffee and looked after the dishes. It was pretty good.

The best deal I heard of was the reception for my wife's cousin. He was a bachelor
and died overseas while on vacation. He was not a religious guy and they had no
ceremony. His sister arranged a memorial cocktail party back at his house.