Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis Nexis is offline

Default Spin-off of Squeaks' Family Recipe Collections and Nostalgia

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first.
>
> A detailed recipe for making pirohy; a couple of fillings would be
> included;
>
> My bread and butter pickles with tips on how to efficiently wash them
> and the correct thickness of the slice;
>
> My cream cheese coffeecake with the notations about making six and
> freezing them, and the story about one of its blue ribbons;
>
> I suppose I'd have to include The Brownies;
>
> Pot roast, including cut, prep, and what to do with the leftovers.
>
> I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Great question, Barb!
Ok, just off the top of my head, I'd have to include:

Ribs, Chicken & Dressing...along with how to pick out the best ribs and cut the
chicken

Standing Rib & Pot roasts...and, maybe more importantly, The Gravy.

Doughnuts....the recipe isn't mine, exactly, it was the same one my grandma used, but
it's a family tradition!

My Green Beans- a slightly different method, steamed, then sautéed

And Pie...including crusts, fillings, toppings. I don't know if I could chose just
one, so I'd have to include the blackberry-apple streusel, chocolate cream, and
black-bottom coconut cream pies

I am sure five minutes after I click send, I'll have thought of something else or
something better ;-)

kimberly