Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Spin-off of Squeaks' Family Recipe Collections and Nostalgia

On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:06:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
>If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
>you by, which would you include?
>
>I'll go first.
>
>A detailed recipe for making pirohy; a couple of fillings would be
>included;
>
>My bread and butter pickles with tips on how to efficiently wash them
>and the correct thickness of the slice;
>
>My cream cheese coffeecake with the notations about making six and
>freezing them, and the story about one of its blue ribbons;
>
>I suppose I'd have to include The Brownies;
>
>Pot roast, including cut, prep, and what to do with the leftovers.
>
>I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.

This is a toughie...

1 - Brisket

2 - Challah

3 - Potato latkes

4 - Sour cream coffee cake

5 - Turkey stuffing

These are family comfort foods.. I realize the first three are
variations on traditional Eastern European Jewish foods, but I don't
make them at all as my mother did.

boron