Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spin-off of Squeaks' Family Recipe Collections and Nostalgia

On Sun 25 May 2008 10:06:12p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> Waxing wistful for Mom's own words has me posing this to you:
> If you were to hand write, say, five recipes for your kids to remember
> you by, which would you include?
>
> I'll go first.
>
> A detailed recipe for making pirohy; a couple of fillings would be
> included;
>
> My bread and butter pickles with tips on how to efficiently wash them
> and the correct thickness of the slice;
>
> My cream cheese coffeecake with the notations about making six and
> freezing them, and the story about one of its blue ribbons;
>
> I suppose I'd have to include The Brownies;
>
> Pot roast, including cut, prep, and what to do with the leftovers.
>
> I think those are less a sign of the times than they are a sign of me.

I'd have to say that the recipes I would write down would be recipes that
were my own mother's. I would also note any modifications I have made to
them. All would be written in great detail because that's why they turn
out the way they do.

Chicken Fried Steak
Southern Fried Chicken
Southern Pecan Pie