Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] is offline

Default Family Recipe Collections and Nostalgia

On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:29:13 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>I'll support that. All of the boxed and canned stuff doesn't taste the
>same as it did anyway. But I loved it in the fifties.
>Fresh vegetables started with 'boil for a couple of hours'. But my mom
>made some really tasty meals. I've duplicated all of them that I cared
>about except her beef soup. I make very good beef soup, but it's not
>hers. I miss her and hers. I do add a dash of this and a handful of
>that, so I'm learning.

This may not be your mother's beef soup, it's my mother's - same era,
however, so it might be close, although I have a couple of beef and
vegetable soup recipes that are a whole lot heartier - this is comfort
food (the parenthetical is mine):

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Vegetable And Beef Soup

soups and stews

good size soup bone
1 1/2 pounds stew meat
2 onions; chopped
3 potatoes; cut in 1/2" cubes
4 carrots; sliced
3 stalks celery; sliced
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 14 1/2 oz. tomatoes; peeled and chopped
1/2 cup barley

Boil soup bone and stew meat in 4 quarts water until cooked through,
about 1 hour. Remove soup bone. Add remaining ingredients and salt and
pepper to taste. Simmer another hour or until all vegetables are
tender.

(Do try to find pot barley, not pearled barley, as the latter turns to
mush in soups. A little "spice shelf shopping" doesn't go amiss,
either.)

Contributor: Ninelle Hopkins Pulliam

Yield: 12 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd