Old 26-05-2008, 02:36 AM posted to rec.food.baking
[email protected] mix30@comcast.net is offline

Default Easy way to measure shortening

On May 23, 10:53*am, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
On Thu 22 May 2008 10:09:32a, weaver told us...

My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
here is a simple yet easy way to do it.

I used to do that occasionally before I had a scale. *I find the scale
simpler and less messy. *I just put a piece of plastic wrap on the top of the
scale and spoon the solid shortening onto it. *1/2 cup of shortening equals 4
oz. advp. *In other words, ounce for ounce. Easy.

--
* * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
* * *Friday, 05(V)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)

I also use a scale but without the plastic: I put my mixing bowl on
the scale, "tare it" or zero it out, then add the shortening by weight
(1T=12 or 14 gm, for example). It is accurate and there is only one
messy scraper to wash. I LOVE my digital scale!