Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Family Recipe Collections and Nostalgia

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> Wayne, trust me when I tell you that the only thing you likely missed
> was the smile her handwriting would have brought to your face, which
> is not a small thing.

Right.

> I'm looking at my mother's recipe collections (one in a notebook sort
> of thing and another in a 3 x 5" card index box) and 90% of them are
> really, really bad recipes.

So f'ing what!? Do you have a collection of anything else written in
her hand? I should think that each 3x5" card conjures up a story that,
of itself, is and "ingredient" in the "recipe" that she was the product
of.

> These are recipes from the 50s that mostly read like the recipes on
> the packaging of a can or a box or a really bad women's magazine.
> OTOH, they're recipes that my mother thought interesting enough to
> write down and that's worth a bunch.

And they are representative of the time in which she lived. (Does she
have any notes on the recipe that indicate what about it attracted her?)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com