Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Family Recipe Collections and Nostalgia

merryb wrote:

> I have a lot of my grandma's recipes- it's a little eerie looking at
> the ones she hand wrote. Among my favorites is her ravioli filling
> recipe. It's kinda comforing to look thru them, ya know??

And so what are you going to do? Are you going
to leave behind any recipes?

I'm not aware of any good recipes that my mom
created. I've created a few good ones and
lots of bad ones. I'm not aware of any recipes
inherited from previous genrations from my mom,
though she did some experimental variations
of the recipes she followed which were
educational on how to do food. The most I
learned from my mom about cooking was technique,
not recipes nor the handling of raw food materials.

I've got a number of great recipes. I've never
had fried squid better than what I can make.
Appealing to a larger audience, I've never had
better quesadillas than what I can make.

I've considered the possibility of faking
a family heritage of great recipes. These
would be great recipes that I've created, so
I know they work. Or maybe I just tested
other recipes of various non-obvious origins,
all rolled together into a book. And maybe
a few of my mom's recipes which aren't too bad,
and slightly altered, if you don't mind
sliced hot dogs as the meat in a meat salad
or something like that. Okay, that could be
some premium meat like a genuine mortadella,