Old 23-05-2008, 11:21 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Viviane Viviane is offline

Default Easy way to measure shortening

An oldie but a goodie.

However it makes me think about the difficulty of measuring solid
ingredients in cups. I've always had problems when looking at American
recipes. When I lived in England we didn't use cups for measuring (just
weights or quantities) and in Australia cups are only used for non solid
things (flour, liquids etc). No doubt there's a rational explanation!

"weaver" wrote in message
My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
here is a simple yet easy way to do it.

Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
ever it is you are trying to measure.

I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
know what YOU think.

Check out my Blog at: http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com