Alex Rast

Default rich, moist chocolate cake

at Thu, 04 Dec 2003 04:50:08 GMT in >,
(Dee Randall) wrote :

>it's unfortunate that you have Scharffen
>Berger, because it's not particularly good, relative to other chocolates
>in its class. They underroast, resulting in an aggressively fruity
>taste....
>
>Yes, come to think of it, a "fruitiness" now that I think back on using
>half of the 99%, is the taste that I was wondering about. I was
>thinking it was just to bitter for me

Fruitiness and bitterness are closely related. Scharffen Berger is very
deliberate in going for a fruity flavour, but rather like you, most people,
it would seem, just find it too aggressive for their liking. Good chocolate
isn't deceptive in that sense - if it tastes less-than-ideal, it's less
than ideal. Even a 100% can have no bitterness at all (e.g. Slitti) or have
bitterness that is by no means harsh (e.g. Cluizel).

>I am open to suggestions for what is considered a good brand of
>chocolate that you might recommend.

For everyday use, Ghirardelli is very good.
For slightly upscale, Guittard is excellent.
For *definitely* upscale, Michel Cluizel is perhaps the best overall.
For an ultra-splurge, experiment with Domori which is as good as Cluizel
but with some additional, exclusive varietals (especially Porcelana,
Carenero Superior)

--
Alex Rast