Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default What a moron!

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> The penne was rice pasta (ground brown rice, rice bran). The Alfredo
>>> sauce was milk, cheese, corn starch, maltodextrin, lipolyzed cream
>>> and guar gum. Jun added a bunch of fresh shrimp, fried in butter,
>>> and fresh grated Pecorino Romano cheese. My Alfredo sauce is more
>>> like what you describe. She won't be buying this again.

>> It begs the question... why is she bringing high carb convenience
>> foods into the house. The hotter the weather the more likely you are
>> to grab a convenience meal than cook from scratch. If the wrong
>> foods aren't in the house then you can't eat it easily.

> I beg to reply. Well, she went to this place to get CarbQuik for me.
> Her English being somewhat limited, she assumed that everything there
> was OK for me. I have since explained the difference between low carb
> and low gluten to her. She thought she was doing something nice for
> me. She's learning. Having spent the first 50 years of her life in
> Thailand, the hot weather is no deterrant. She cooks in the house
> from 6 AM to midnight, for her catering business, everything from
> scratch. Does her and my meals, as well.

What you could do is go shopping together and show her how to read carbs
per serving. Example say that any food that is x gr or above per serving is
not suitable for you. This would have to be for a whole meal. All your food
components would have to add up to no more than x amount of carbs. Explain
that noodles, pasta and the like are pretty much no no's for yuo. She is a
good cook and could make some tasty meat-based meals out of herbs and
spices. Then just add the low carb veggies to fill it out (as well as
provide the necessary nutrition). The penne and alfredo sauce packaged meal
was a no no but the home made alfredo over, let me think - shiritake or
shitake? One is mushrooms, one is noodles... Someone here will know.