Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Grinding meat

"Kswck" wrote:
> "meatnub" > wrote in message

> > Thanks to Sheldon for mentioning meat grinding and the Waring Pro meat
> > grinder.

> > I just never thought you could do this at home and I am very intrigued
> > and most likely will end up purchasing the above grinder (already
> > purchased Waring's Belgian Waffle maker).

> > I found an old thread where Sheldon I believe mentions the best time
> > to grill burgers is like within an hour after your grind them, is this
> > true? I have no problem with this. I can easily buy the meat that day
> > or before from the grocer and just grind it prior to grilling.

> > What are the best cuts of beef for grilling hamburgers? I can think of
> > Chuck. Would that be the best? What about Top Round (which Sheldon
> > mentioned in the same thread).

> > The grinder would also open up more possibilities such as homemade
> > sausage, maybe even turkey for turkey burgers (but would seem easier
> > to just buy the cut of beef).

> > If anyone has any advice especially on different grinding machines I'd
> > appreciate it.

> > I see myself getting real immersed into this whole cooking bit.

> The whole trick is to keep the meat as cold as possible. That way it doesn't
> gunk up the grinder.

Put everything in the freezer to chill, the bowls, the cutting board,
etc., especially the grinder head. After slicing the meat, before
grinding, place into the freezer for 15 minutes to chill and firm up.
Have all your wrappings ready in advance too, your counter tops wiped
down and cleared also, you don't want to leave meat out at room
temperature any longer than necessary... it's a good idea to do bulk
meat meat grinding in early morning, the coolest part of the day.
It's smart to place your ground meat back in the fridge while you
clean up, you don't want the dirty grinder and utensils lying about
longer than necessary either. The most difficult part about grinding
is in the planning, and always *safety* of course.

A good practice is to trim some of the large clumps of fat from your
chuck, round, or whatever beef and after slicing into strips coat meat
with some mild olive oil, replaces the fat with cholesterol free fat
while it lubes the grinder for a better grind. After some practice
you will learn to judge fat content pretty accurately by eye. I don't
save the fat trimmings, I really have no use for them, instead I toss
them out into the yard, the crows will carry them off within three
minutes after I shut the back door.