Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cucumber salad recipe for Andy

TammyM wrote on Tue, 20 May 2008 08:29:02 -0700:

> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in
> message ...
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> Ah. Thanks Margaret. Normal cukes it is...

>> ChattyCathy, Another Senior Moment: I did not mention that
>> the
>> cucumbers must be peeled and sliced as thinly as possible. I
>> assumed that nobody would not peel them. Years ago,
>> cucumbers were not cultivated as they are now and had little
>> fuzzy growths on their skins, almost like tiny thorns or
>> spines or prickles and had to be peeled for salads.
>>

> Hi Margaret! I don't peel cucumbers if they're unwaxed. Or if
> I'm feeling ritzy, I'll peel alternating strips on them.

I don't know whether it's an urban legend but it is said that
cucumbers are more digestible if the skins are left on. In any
case, I like the texture of the skin and am willing to scrub
cucumbers to remove wax. I admit that there are recipes for
cooked cucumbers, raitas and sadziki etc. that use peeled
cucumber.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland