Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Cucumber salad recipe for Andy

"James Silverton" wrote:
> �Stan �wrote:
>
> > The original recipe says to add in half a
> > teaspoon of white pepper, but I don't like that stuff (it has
> > no flavor), so I use a bit of regular ground pepper instead.

> In defense of white pepper, I
> might suggest that you try it �freshly bought. I does lose its
> flavor fairly quickly. I suppose you could also try grinding
> your own.

Grind your own! You'll know what/who's in it... preground spices are
guaranteed to contain ground mouse turds, cockroaches, and other
assorted nasties... in fact you should pick over your peppercorns
carefully before just dumping them into your pepper mill. White
pepper is actually more flavorful than black pepper but in a different
way, white is more pungent. White pepper is used exclusively in
Chinese restaurant food, they don't use black pepper at all. Black
pepper in cucumber salad would look like dirt.