Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cheese enchiladas - Oy vey!

Nick Cramer wrote:

> I dunno. I had a total of four tortillas, 1/2 cup of refried beans and 1/4
> cup of rice.

4 tortillas is a whole day's worth of carbs for a lot of Diabetics. 1/2
cup of beans isn't too bad as the beans have fiber to offset some of the
carbs. The rice is something that should be avoided unless you are among
the few Diabetics who can tolerate it. Most that I know find that rice
is the worst carb as far as spiking goes. My DH among them. Even brown
rice is bad for him.

When we go out for Mexican, he asks for double beans and no rice. He
rarely eats all the beans, but he can control for them with a bolus.
Since you are not on insulin, you have to learn just how much beans you
can tolerate and stay the heck away from high-carb tortillas and rice.

A safe order in a Mexican restaurant is fajitas. Eat the meat and
veggies and leave the tortillas and rice.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation