Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Citric Acid question

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Ray West wrote:
> > I've tried the ph metres, non of them work well enough to be of any
> > use, can't even relie on subsequent readings on the same test subject.
> >
> > Got my money back on them.
> >
> > It is well known that most tomatoes run at below ph 4.6 and do not
> > need further acidification,

> Everything I've read lately has said that tomatoes are being bred to
> be less acidic, so this isn't true any more. I'm a little confused now.
>
> Serene

It's a precaution, Serene. The tomatoes may be below 4.6 -- or they may
not. I'd venture to say that most folks couldn't name the varietal they
purchase for canning and the acidification is cheap insurance.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com