zxcvbob

Default Cooking/ refreezing hamburger

~ rob ~ wrote:
> "Amberinauburn" > wrote in message
>
>> I have a question, last night at the store I bought the hamburger
>> for the chili I need to make for Sunday nights party. It's a work
>> thing and not only are we 'expected' to go but several people have
>> 'requested' that I make and bring my chili. Today is Thursday. I
>> don't want to leave uncooked hamburger in the refrigerator until
>> sometime Saturday, which is when I will make the chili, so my
>> question is this, Can I brown off the meat and then freeze it until
>> Saturday night when I will have time to make the chili? Thanks in
>> advance Amber Also any tips on making chili are appreciated.

> ----------------------
>
> Cook the heck out of it, salt and pepper it, freeze it. Or freeze it
> raw, thaw and cook any time within a month or so... So many
> *different* chile recipes out there, no real tips or secrets, just
> lotsa experimenting and trying different recipes. I like lotsa fresh
> ground black pepper. Cumin is the dominant spice in traditional
> chillies.

Brown the meat with a little salt and an onion, drain off some of the
fat, and the meat will be fine in the refrigerator for a few days.

I like to use whole dried New Mexico chiles (or guajillo, which are
different but interchangable) and one or two dried ancho peppers. Long
dried red peppers should be the predominant spice. Remove the stems and
most of the seeds from the peppers and soak them in a little boiling
water until they plump up and get soft. Then liquify the peppers in the
soaking water with a blender. I simmer the meat in that for a while,
adjust the spices with salt (or beef bouillon cubes) oregano, garlic,
black pepper. (I use stale preground black pepper in chili and fresh
ground pepper in just about everything else.) Let it simmer for about
an hour; thicken with a *little* oatmeal.

Pork stock is wonderful for making chili.

Best regards,
Bob