Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ray West Ray West is offline

Default Citric Acid question

I've tried the ph metres, non of them work well enough to be of any
use, can't even relie on subsequent readings on the same test subject.

Got my money back on them.

It is well known that most tomatoes run at below ph 4.6 and do not
need further acidification, however, it would not hurt to add a small
amount of citric acid to be sure, certainly not the 1 tablespoon to a
pint as suggested one.

Like you I generally add half a teaspoon to 1 lt/qt of whatever I'm
doing.

I also use lemon juice, I also use vinegar in many applications,
knowing that 5% white vinegar runs between ph 2.3 & 2.5 it's easy to
work out.

Anyway I have a number of ph strips arriving shortly so I should get a
better idea.

On Tue, 13 May 2008 22:29:46 -0700 (PDT), jimnginger