Posted to rec.food.cooking
sandi sandi is offline

Default chinese brown gravy???

"J.Lef" > wrote in
news:Kb%Uj.65$6D1.58@trndny02:

> Just picked up a new carbon steel joyce chen wok. (I
> also have a new
> cooktop, with some high output burners)
> Looking at the recipe included for fried rice, it says to
> use a tsp of
> chinese brown gravy syrup(and specifically it says not soy
> sauce)
> Any idea what this could be. Oyster sauce maybee. I
> thought I was
> familiar with most asian ingrediants, but this one stumps me.
> Can someone clue me in please.
>
> Much regards

From the old (orig. pub 1936) "The Chinese Cook Book" published by
the Culinary Arts Press states:

"Chinese Brown Gravy
Use two tablespoonfuls of Chinese Sauce, one teaspoonful brown
molasses and one teaspoonful cornstarch or flour. Mix until smooth
and stir into boiling juice of roast or one-half coup of soup
stock.
A rich, brown, and highly palatable gravy is the result, especially
desirable with chop suey dishes."

"CHINESE SAUCE or SOYU, used instead of salt, adds zest and
delicacy."

Here are some interesting links:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/420/0.shtml
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/sauc...soning_Recipes.